Psychosexual counselling service
Sexual difficulties are common and can
affect any one of us at any time. We provide specialised psychosexual therapy
sessions to help with your difficulty using an appointment-based system. In
order to be seen in the service you need a referral either from your GP or from
another health care worker including those working within sexual health clinics
across the region.
Therapy can be using a cognitive behavioural
approach (CBT), with COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists)
therapists which is also suitable for couples, or Psychodynamic psychotherapy
on a one to one basis with doctors trained by the IPM (Institute of
Both types of therapy are brief interventions and not suited to long –term ongoing support.
Common difficulties may include the following, but therapy is not limited to these conditions :
- Loss of desire (sex-drive)
- Lack of sexual arousal, which you find troublesome
- Difficulty in reaching orgasm
- Painful sex male and female
- Vaginismus, difficulty with penetration
- Difficulty getting or keeping an erection (Erectile dysfunction)
- Premature, delayed or absent ejaculation
- Specific fears around sex and sexual phobias
- Issues with gender identity
We do not prescribe medication but are able to recommend this to your GP if appropriate.
We do not offer specific help for sexual addiction but are still happy to assess you to see if you are suitable for therapy with us or if we can facilitate onward specialised referral.