Psychosexual Counselling Service
Sexual difficulties are common and can affect any one of us at any time. We provide specialised psychosexual therapy sessions to help with your difficulty using an appointment-based system.
Therapy can be using a cognitive behavioural approach (CBT), with COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists) therapists which is also suitable for couples, or Psychodynamic psychotherapy on a one to one basis with doctors trained by the IPM (Institute of Psychosexual Medicine).
Both types of therapy are brief interventions and not suited to long term ongoing support.
Common difficulties may include the following, but therapy is not limited to these conditions :
- Loss of desire (sex-drive)
- Lack of sexual arousal, which you find troublesome
- Difficulty in reaching orgasm
- Painful sex
- Vaginismus, difficulty with penetration
- Difficulty getting or keeping an erection (Erectile dysfunction )
- Premature, delayed or absent ejaculation
- Specific fears around sex and sexual phobias
- Issues with gender identity
We do not prescribe medication but are able to recommend this to your GP if appropriate.
We do not offer specific help for sexual addiction but are still happy to assess you to see if you are suitable for therapy with us or if we can facilitate onward specialised referral.
Patients can access the service by self referral by downloading and completing this questionnaire and returning to:
The Psychosexual Clinic Secretary
The Northern Contraception, Sexual Health and HIV Service
The Hathersage Centre
280 Upper Brook Street
Contact Tel: 0161 701 1555 (Switch)
Direct line: 0161 701 1526