Due to COVID-19 the majority of our clinics are now closed. We have temporarily moved to telephone appointments. Please do not come to clinic unless told to do so. Please see our notice board on the home page for ways to access services. There is a dedicated helpline for people who need support or help for those suffering from domestic abuse. You can call the National Domestic Helpline on 0807 2000 247. You can also access further information for support at various local authorities website Manchester City Council, Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council, Trafford Council, Stockport Council If you need emergency help relating to domestic abuse but cannot speak, call 999 and press 55 when prompted. See more information about the silent solution this information leaflet from Greater Manchester Police #MakeYourselfHeard #SilentSolution
PrEP or pre-exposure prophylaxis involves HIV negative people taking HIV medication called Truvada as a method of helping to prevent HIV infection.
Recent research has shown that if taken correctly, Truvada is highly effective at preventing HIV infection.
It does not protect against any other STI, only HIV. You need to take other precautions in addition to PrEP to protect yourself from all other STIs. We recommend regular STI testing if you are on PrEP. You should have an HIV test every 3 month.
How to take PrEP
There are 2 ways of taking PrEP (based on 2 European studies):
- One tablet every 24 hours.
- Event-based dosing for a single sex act comprises two tablets 2–24 hours before sex, one tablet 24 hours (22–26 hours) after the first dose, and another tablet 48 hours (46–50 hours) after the first dose.
- This regimen is not recommended for vaginal sex.
Unfortunately, the cost of PrEP medicines is not currently covered by the NHS. However we can provide free advice and monitoring in any of our routine sexual health appointments.
NHS PrEP trial
The Northern sites below are currently involved in the Impact PrEP trial. Due to limited places available for the service several sites are now closed to further recruitment but will continue to monitor and follow up trial participants. To find out if there are still places available at each site please contact the following numbers :
Hathersage : 0161 701 1504
Stockport : 0161 204 5884
Tameside : 0161 342 7101
Trafford : 0161 241 7582
Withington : 0161 217 3318
North Manchester : 0161 918 4263
Please note due to longstanding overwhelming demand, places cannot be guaranteed onto this trial.
Non trial PrEP
- If you are taking PrEP bought online we can arrange ongoing monitoring at each clinic.
- We would recommend that we see you every 3 months and you have the following tests:
- HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea testing
- A urine test to look for protein
- A blood test to monitor your kidneys every year
- We can also discuss any vaccines we can offer you and give you advice on how to take the medication and cope with any problems.